Sunday, December 06, 2009

Christmas Spirit 2009: Indiecater Records Compilation


So, I won't even bother making excuses over how long it's taken to update this thing, since you all know the drill already. Suffice it to say, this blog is a much-enjoyed yet definitely hobbyist endeavour.

Thus, it was something of a surprise to me just how many record label mailing lists and press release e-mail things make their way into my mailbox all the time. I don't take it to mean we're special or anything, but I will admit that I'm filled with guilt on a regular basis, seeing all these lovingly detailed updates when I can't apparently stay on top of my own projects enough to at least listen to most of the music mentioned.

Especially since when I actually manage to get some listening in, it's actually so GOOD.

Which brings us to the subject of this update: a Christmas compilation.

...words that strike fear into the heart of any retail slave. They evoke thoughts of endless repetitions of the Destiny's Child Christmas Album, and Michael Buble singing "Let it Snow" just to capitalize on the fact that he's pretty much doing what Bing Crosby did well sixty or so years ago and not much else. Let's not even talk about Boney M.

However, this compilation comes from Indiecater Records, home of small but sweet outfits such as Adam and Darcie, Candy Claws, and Sunbear...I couldn't help but be somewhat intrigued about what a Christmas comp done by non-commercial bands that don't spend their time bloating Pitchfork's news pages might sound like.

All I need to say is this: this is probably my favourite winter compilation yet.

Sure, some of the songs are about Christmas. Most, however, seem to be about winter and ice and snow, about personal relationships, and about the humanistic elements of the holiday (as in Standard Fare's Tinsel Politics, where lead singer Emma Kupa asks "Tell me, whose parents' are we going to this Christmas? And how many arguments do I have to sit through?"). Even the covers of traditional songs (Allo Darlin's rendition of Baby, It's Cold Outside, Sweet Jane's Silent Night) are refreshingly honest and sweet versions that bring something new, all the while not seeking to overpower the original material like most revisionist carols do.

It's probably the first Christmas comp I've ever heard where the subject is handled in such a sensitive manner. We're expected to be intelligent enough to get it without needing the word "Christmas" and holiday cliche images beaten into our eardrums.

Do yourself a favour and pick this up to play at any parties you plan on hosting this year, indie or no. Now if only I could get it worked into the regular playlist at work for the holidays...*dares to dream*


~Ju

Standard Fare - "Tinsel Politics" MP3
An Indiecater Christmas 2009

9 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

It is certainly interesting for me to read this post. Thank you for it. I like such themes and everything that is connected to them. I definitely want to read more on that blog soon.

Anonymous said...

I wish not approve on it. I think nice post. Specially the title-deed attracted me to read the whole story.

Anonymous said...

Cool blog you got here. It would be great to read a bit more concerning this matter. Thanx for giving that material.
Joan Stepsen
Gadget gifts

Anonymous said...

Nice post as for me. It would be great to read more concerning this matter. Thnx for giving that info.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

hiya


just registered and put on my todo list


hopefully this is just what im looking for looks like i have a lot to read.

Anonymous said...

Hi guys,

What online fanzines do you read and would recommend?

For all you emo people out there I recommend The Enough Fanzine. It is one of the first punk ezines on the www.

They have throusands of interviews from the most independent bands all over the world. Check them out online: [url=http://www.enoughfanzine.com]Enough Fanzine[/url]. Best of it all, they are 100% non-profit and just helping the scene!

Looking forward to your recommendations.

Regards!

Oral Steroids said...

congrats or your blog...you have interesting and useful thoughts