Thursday, February 15, 2007

The Acorn - Tin Fist EP

I was all excited to make a post about the new Feist song that's surfaced off her upcoming album The Reminder - but I was beaten to it. So go check that out, it's really worth a listen.


But now onto The Acorn's latest release, Tin Fist EP. Again proving how slow I am on the draw, this album was released Dec 2, 2006. It's among my favourite albums last year, hands down.

The intensity this band captures never ceases to imaze me. Which is why I'm absoultely thrilled to see they're stopping by Calgary on their Canadian tour.

This album is a journey; alebit a short one (which really is a shame). It starts off hauntingly with Heirlooms, a song that I promise you, will make your skin crawl if you listen to it somewhere alone with all the lights out. Hauntingly beautiful would be a good way to describe it.

From there, Tin Fist EP continues to grow, twisting and turning, giving and taking. Dents takes us on a softer ride, but the intensity returns in Spring Thaw.

Brokered Heart and Spring Thaw are both available to listen to on the band's myspace; along with some earlier songs (one of which, Blankets, you'll recognise from a WHYH mixtape).

Lets also throw in some links here: Go Jeff!!! is a band from Saskatchewan, who are going to do big things this year; Manic just recently released their EP Floor Boards, and I'll have a review of that up here shortly.

I can't promise that posting here will become more regular, but I am trying.

No comments: